Thursday, April 16, 2009

WHO SAID THAT?

1.“Nobody wants justice.”
2.“You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."
3.“By the time we've made it, we've had it.”
4.“I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.”
5.“It's not easy bein' green.”
6.“Start every day off with a smile and get it over with.”
7.“If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?”
8.“Every time a friend succeeds, I die a little.”
9.“You'd be surprised how much it costs to look this cheap.”
10.“Everything you see I owe to spaghetti.”
11.“Wit is educated insolence.”

These were clues in a crossword puzzle. If you happened to know who said it, you could fill in the blanks and be several jumps ahead; if you had no idea, a random letter or two might be enough to give it away. I was charmed by all of them. A few of them are no-brainers; a few are illuminating. All are amusing. I had the benefit of letter clues to help me figure out who most likely said what, so I got them all. Since you don't share that advantage, I'm going to list the speakers' names below. Have fun matching them up.

A. Mae West
B. Abraham Lincoln
C. Kermit the Frog
D.Dolly Parton
E. Aristotle
F. Sophia Loren
G. W. C. Fields
H. Alan Dershowitz
I. Malcolm Forbes
J. Gore Vidal
K. Al Capone

[The puzzle was from "The New York Times Supersized Sunday Crosswords" and was created by David J. Kahn.]

No comments:

Post a Comment